purple sensory bin

I have always thought of purple as a bit of a flamboyant colour.  

A bit out there - and probably not totally respectable.

But I love it. 

When my teaching pal suggested that we make purple sensory bins, I was all over the idea. 



At first it was tough to find purple bits and pieces. But between us we managed to find the fixin's for a purple bin.

ingredients
Crayola purple play sand  - from Toys R Us
buttons
pom poms
glass gems
cut up Christmas garland
bracelet links
plastic jewels
thrift shop and dollar store containers
 ice cream scoop
 kitty litter scoop
big straws
marbles


All in various shade and hues of purple. 



I like colour sensory bins.  

Colour bins offers subtle visual discrimination practice.  Everything is the same colour!  



We can learn specific colour vocabulary.  Within purple there is lavender, mauve, eggplant, violet, magenta, fuchsia, lilac, ruby, plum ...


Textures comes front and centre.  The soft, fuzzy of pom poms, the angles of plastic jewels, the hard roundness of glass gems,  the smoothness of aquarium accent rocks, the crinkle of paper Easter grass ...




A colour bin has no "story" that is connected with the bin.  Every story, every plan, has to come directly from the imagination of  children.  


Like enjoying  a purple ice cream drink. 




The kids always enjoy scooping (and decorating),


and pouring.  We discovered that the glass could hold more sand (and decorations) than the jug. Interesting discovery. 


Looking for some purple inspired kids books,
or a fun purple people eater song?






            

6 comments

  1. You know I love all of your sensory bins...ANOTHER TRIUMPH!
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose
    The Meek Moose on TpT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, LOVE this sensory bin! How cool to keep it all purple, with such different materials and textures. My favorite color is purple, so maybe I'm a little biased. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is definitely a good colour! At first I wondered whether an all purple bin would work - would it be too same-same. After I added tiny clear jewels, the all purple bin came together.

      Delete
  3. It's so beautiful! I want to play with it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barb. I must confess that I enjoy getting my hands in the bin and playing with the bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top