birds and nests bin

Spring time -- green grass, tree blossoms, birds gathering twigs and grass, and the chirping of baby birds.  

A good time for a birds and nests sensory bin. 





It started with a beanie baby robin and a nest-like basket.



I used shaved cedar for the base. I wanted a natural look and feel. Cedar pet bedding would also work well.  Or crinkly brown paper.  


The robin needed some bird friends.  Somewhere I have a mini beanie bluebird - I am sure that I will find it as soon as I put this bin away!


We found an eagle and a West Coast First Nations style Raven in our stuffy bin. 

A trip to a local toy store and another robin and a hummingbird (both by Folkmanis) fluttered into the bin. 


I looked for natural looking eggs and nests at dollar stores.  They will probably be even cheaper for a couple of days after Easter.
I would love some painted and natural wooden eggs.  One day ....

The last addition was some sticks for nest building. 




The kids have been building nests, laying eggs, making sure that they eggs stay warm.  And letting the cedar shavings run through their fingers.



I put out a few real nests and some bird books with the birds and nest bin.  Trying to inspire curious minds. 


Click on each book to read a quick summary/review from GoodReads. 







happy Spring time, 


Image Map





            

4 comments

  1. Oh my goodness! That's so sweet. I have the same eagle. Found him in Tofino and couldn't resist:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so beautiful. I am inspired to reinvent my bird bin. This is definitely a kid favourite in our room. Those birds are so cute.

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top