Saturday, April 21, 2012

nature sensory table

the sensory table next door

My next-door-neighbour at school is a preschool.  I could not ask for better neighbours.  I learn so much from them.

Last week I popped into the preschool to chat about something (of great importance, no doubt!).

And this is what I saw in their sand table.


Looking closer, I saw a world of wonder.

 variety of colours and textures of the mosses is amazing

 succulents have a lovely texture

a pansy  plant and shells were added to the moss 

glass pebbles add a different texture and light

 an oregano plant provides a lovely olfactory sensory element

one of the students brought the yellow flower to add to the moss world
the bark arch adds a new texture and a bridge for dwellers of this world

The pre-school teachers told me that their students brought most of the elements in their moss world.

I'm inspired.  The kids and I will create our own moss world this week.  Looking forward to seeing what we create.


4 comments:

  1. We did this last week. We also added some sticks with moss on them, stones with moss and plastic insects from the dollar store. Hope you make it for your kinders. I put a clipboard nearby and two students made sketches. We did moss sculptures in the fall, they were delightful. Have fun. Liz :)

    http://crazyforkindergarten68.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds fabulous Liz. Last year I made a moss world and put plastic bugs in it. THis year I am thinking that we should make 2 containers worth - one as a bug world and one for fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I'm your newest follower.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi,

    I was at Michaels yesterday and picked up a tube of fairies to add to our moss centre. They are going to be such a hit! Great minds think alike!

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10